- Understand package management and distinguish between different practices relating to package objectives and chosen programming language.
- Carry out package management operations in order to critically appraise current packages and propose changes.
- Understand the importance of software licenses, versioning policy, and clear documentation and examples.
- Apply best practices to create a simple package suitable for long term maintenance.
- Evaluate options for managing configuration and behaviour relating to package installation, removal, upgrade and re-installation.
- Analyse opportunities for automating package management and releases, maintaining a clear focus on the user rather than the developer.
- Critically evaluate opportunities to generalise package management to allow the easy building and maintenance of packages on multiple platforms.
- Recognise and assess opportunities to apply package management techniques in your own environment.
There will be trainers and speakers from the SCAPE Project partners including the Open Planets Foundation, The British Library, and the National Library of the Netherlands.
Wednesday 26 March
Day 1: Thinking Like a Package Maintainer
|09:30 - 10:00||Registration|
|10.00 - 10:20|| Introduction and aims
Why software packaging matters
|10:20 - 11:00|| The Advanced Packaging Tool (APT)
An introduction to APT
|11.00 - 11.15||Coffee|
|11.15 - 12.30|| Anatomy of an APT package
Looking at the internals of an APT package
|12.30 - 13.30||Lunch|
|13:30 - 14:30|| Maintaining an APT Package
Creating and distributing your first package
|3, 4, 5|
|14:30 - 15:00|| The Bigger Picture: Continuous Deployment
Making a software release business as usual
|15:00 - 15:15||Coffee|
|15.15 - 16:30|| Robots: For Package Maintainers
Using GitHub,Vagrant and friends to automate software releases
|16.30 - 17.00|| Wrap up
Summary and closing questions.
Thursday 27 March
Day 2: Behaving Like a Package Developer
|09.15 - 09.30|| Welcome back
Overview of agenda for the day
|Invited talk: My experience with Jpylyzer|
|09:30 - 09:50|| The Bigger Picture: DevOps
Software development and IT operations in harmony
|09.50 - 11.15|| Robots: For Developers
Automating the development workflow
|11.15 - 11.30||Coffee|
|11.30 - 12.30|| Going Public
Using public, free infrastructure
|12.30 - 13.45||Lunch|
|13.45 - 15.00|| Packaging for Other Platforms
Applying these principles to other OSs
|15.00 - 15.15||Coffee|
|15.15 - 16.30|| Open Session
Build your own package.
|16.00 - 16.30|| Wrap up
Questions, discussion and event evaluation
Register at: https://scape-preserving-tools.eventbrite.co.uk